Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bonjour from Paris

I'm here!  My little "Kir" apartment, in the 7e right across from 
the Eiffel Tower, is tiny but oh so efficient.  I love it!  Spent 
yesterday after arriving exploring my neighborhood, checking 
out the best places to buy my daily baguette and latte.  Every 
building here looks like a monument and the balconies and 
iron work are magnificent.  I have so many photos of the intricate 
doors and fabulous door knobs, sure people around me think I'm 
nuts.  The flower boxes overflowing with geraniums and ferns are 
lovely and a wonderful contrast to all the iron and stone.

The streets are cobble and while lying in bed last night (early as I 
had no sleep on the flights over) I heard the clip clop of the horses 
hooves as the carriages carried visitors down my street.  Only 
problem I've encounted so far is telling the difference between my 
apartment phone ringing and the doorbell!  

Today I walked for miles in the surrounding neighborhood and 
made my way to the Open Markets on Rue Cler.  Picked up some 
wonderful honey, brie, olives, raspberries and a quiche for dinner.  
I like going out early in the day and coming back to the apartment  
mid-day to rest, write, and plot out tonight's adventure.  

I did make note of 5 wonderful shops that I will stop into again before 
leaving.  I'm "hunting" now and making notes so I will go back to those
things that I've not seen better elsewhere.  Few little shops ship to the
U.S., so I have to really love it to use the space in my spare suitcase
to bring it home.  

Accessories here are fabulous.  The scarves I love alone could fill 
my suitcases!  Gratefully the apartment had a little rolly bag for
shopping, which I have already employed. The French are not
big on bags or wrappings (very eco-friendly), so everything you buy
you carry out in your own bag.  Love it!  

I've noticed that most French women here (those that speak French
that sounds like their native language!) wear dresses or skirts and
flats.  I've been able to pick out visitors without them even speaking.
The denim gives them away!  That and many of the women have
their dogs with them.  Tiny, tiny ones ~ probably fit better in their 
tiny apartments!  Makes me miss my pups at home.  They would 
be small horses here and they are only 20 lbs!

I've yet to find the flower stalls I want to purchase some nice fresh
flowers for the apartment.  Hopefully tomorrow.  Only florists in the
neighborhood with arrangements already made up.  

Tomorrow is Puces ~ the Flea Market.  Since my apartment fills with 
sunshine in the a.m., waking up early is easy.  I hope to find 
linens, dishes, old enamel address signs, and small pieces of art.

More to come.  Au revoir!
Laurie


No comments: