Sunday, July 26, 2009

Crazy Day at Marchee aux Puces De Saint-Ouen

Today was my trip to The Puces (flea market).  An experience I won't 
soon forget.  Guess that the weakness of the US dollar has greatly 
affect their sales, as vendors were pulling on me to enter their stalls!  
Also a culture shock to leave the 7e and its upscale lifestyle to enter 
the 'burbs. Coming out of the Metro you moved along with the throng 
of people walking toward the underpass to rue des Rosier. Gypsy-like 
stalls are set up everywhere, along with fully set-up stores and alleys 
off the main area are full of treats.  Soooo many WONDERFUL finds, 
I had to start writing down where I had seen things I loved so I could 
go back after taking a 'flyover' of the area first.  Sadly, so much of 
what I loved was too large or too expensive.  Worse feeling ever for 
us diehard shoppers.  The perfect place to furnish an empty Parisian 
apt!  Definitely lots of brocanteurs (junk) but also stunning pieces.  
Odd feeling was the further down the alleys I went, the more I felt like 
I had fallen down the rabbit hole.  The fear of never finding my way 
back to my apartment came up more than a couple of times.  

Thankfully, I picked up a few cherished treasures small enough 
(and at the right price) to bring back with me. I did find my way back 
to my neighborhood and a huge bottle of water.  Then a nap ;-)  

This evening I walked back down to the Metro at  Ecole Militairie
to explore a bit more and window shop (most closed on Sundays 
and Mondays) several ceramic shops I had seen earlier.  Will
go back on Tuesday.

I'm loving the bus system here.  So different from Alameda. They 
show up, they are many and they are on time.  The Metro and bus 
lines use the same tickets, so easy to get around.  I'm trying to walk 
as much as possible, but a ride now and then is heaven.  

Just when I thought I had charged my camera before heading to the
Flea Market today, I did not.  New photos of the Eiffel Tower lit up.  
A really beautiful sight.  More amazing doors and buildings.  
Camera is charged for tomorrow.

The weather:  Could not be better!  It has been cool, sunny with a 
lovely breeze each day.   It is now 10:15 p.m. and I have the floor
to ceiling windows open to my balcony, as I sit at my little dining 
table and write.  Heaven.  Hmmm.  Just noticed that there is no 
clip clopping tonight.  The horses must have Sundays off.

Tomorrow I head to Bon Marche ~ just completely renovated,
then meeting Maddie and our Southampton friends, who are here
for a month, for a tour of the Eiffel Tower and dinner.  Would love
to take in the Batobus if time allows.  These boat buses go up
and down the Seine to the most important monuments, Eiffel
Tower, the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay, Notre Dame, 
Hotel de Ville and more.  

So far I have held back and not had any of the amazing pastries.
Must have at least one before I leave.  The more I explore, the
more patisseries and chocolatiers I find.  They look like jewels
in the window.   

Au revoir!
Laurie

No comments: