Thursday, October 8, 2009

An Ode to Fall 2009

Sunday, September 27th was a record-breaking day! Beautiful, beautiful weather. Shoppers by the hundreds. Amazing art displayed throughout the Guest House and garden, with treasures finding new homes, as Thrill-goers scooped up their finds.

So now the little Guest House looks sad ~ and empty ~ and will be getting a good coat of paint while we are in the "quiet season" 'til early 2010.

I've already been lucky in finding some great vintage dishes and glassware for next time. As well as connecting with my Parisian shopkeepers, who just sent me really beautiful pieces to sell. I am so excited! As you might guess, I am plotting my return to Paris. While I have been very lucky to have been able to travel quite a bit over the years, a city has never taken hold of my heart like Paris has.

Of course, my recent trip has greatly influenced my design sensibilities. That is not to say I think every house should be "French", just French-inspired. By that I mean infused with not only the homeowners personality but also a joy for life and all those pursuits that interest them. That's truly "French Design". They really don't. They just display and use those things that bring them joy and never wait for a special occasion.

I don't know about you, but I was raised in a house full of lovely things. Not necessarily expensive things, just items that held memories or were found on our many family vacations. My mother has great style and was always ahead of her time, even though money was not plentiful. She painted, sewed, moved things around and really loved to take our home from season to season. Nothing was too precious to be used and children were welcome everywhere. China never sat in a cupboard waiting for a holiday or special reason to use it. I have that same philosophy in our home. Candles come out at breakfast and cloth napkins are derigeur.

Use those things that you have. Display them, move them around, enjoy them! Just moving art around can change the whole look of a room. Actually, a bouquet of flowers or greens from your garden, local Farmer's market, or grocery store can also uplift a room. Better yet, pile a big bowl full of Fall fruit on the coffee table. The colors will inspire you and your family will get in the habit of grabbing that delicious looking fruit for a snack!

Of course right now the markets are full of Indian corn, mini pumpkins, faux autumn leaves and more. All for just a little bump in your grocery budget. Take advantage of these items, adding in green apples, artichokes, eggplant and before you know it, you have a stunning centerpiece for your entry table, dining room table or buffet.

Have fun with your home and your surroundings. It is the 'french' way.

'til next post.
Laurie






No comments: