Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 6 and I've Mastered the Bus System!

Where to begin.  Today was an exceptional day.  Weather was 
overcast and a tad bit humid.  Still lovely with a nice breeze on my 
face as I walked and walked.  Logged in 4.70 miles today.  Since I 
was determined to 'win' in finding my way across the city and back, 
more bus riding happened.  So many beautiful sights and fabulous
finds came my way.

Oh if only I could take everything home with me!  Walking into a 
maison (home) store today was excuriating.  Item after item calling 
my name and just perfect for several clients and "Thrill".  BUT getting 
them home, not in the budget.  Hard to justify a purchase when the 
shipping was almost twice their value!  I did set-up several 
connections with shopkeepers interested in doing business in
the U.S.  Hopefully we will be able to purchase and ship direct from
them in the future.  Lovely people at every stop, all very helpful and 
trying so hard to communicate.  One of them even gave me a gift 
when I left.

Sure that I'll be a whiz at Pictionary after this trip!  Between hand 
signals and drawings, I've pretty much gotten my needs across. I 
certainly could go to the big department stores, where most sales 
clerks speak English, but what's the fun in that?  

The day started off with a lovely ride on the Botabus to the Louvre.  I
was there when it opened and had no wait.  It was a short visit this
time, my 3rd, but inspiring none the less.  I left with lists of ideas, on 
a mission to see if I could make any of them happen.  Several did, 
with so many still floating around in my head.  Must get those
thoughts down before they fly away!  Seriously thinking about taking 
up painting.  Talent may not be there, but my fingers are just dying to try.  

Must say, one of my favorite things to do here is go to the grocery
store.  They are tiny and jammed packed, but the packaging is just 
extraordinary.  I get the same feeling at the Open Markets here and
Farmers Market at home.

Tonight I found a tiny little street cafe that served pasta.  I settled in
to soak up the people-watching duties and enjoyed a delicious
linguine with olive oil and red pepper.  Light, refreshing and very
tasty.  As usual, I came away with some more observations that
I noticed yesterday as well.  

Elderly French women are so stylish and full of life.  I want to grow
up and be like them.  I observed 3 different pairs of 80+ ladies
having a meal together, shopping or just walking down the street.  
They often hold hands as they navigate their way.  Two such women 
sat next to me yesterday at lunch for several hours.  They were 
drinking wine, giggling and having a grand time.  No botox 
or plastic surgery needed for these happy gals. They earned
their laugh lines and are darn proud of them.  I love that!  Makes
me recall a favorite thing my dearest Aunt Ruby (now passed) 
said to me.  She told me, even at 99, she felt like such a girl.  
Keep that one and remember it.

Think I've rambled on long enough for today.  I'm excited for tomorrow,
though sad it is my last day here.  I have the day crammed with those
last few things I must do and have left plenty of time for "flexibility".
That's when the really good stuff happens.

Au revoir and bon nuit.
Laurie

No comments: